Friday, November 11, 2011

The eyes have it

Much to my dismay, my daughter asked me if she could try out for her middle school cheer leading squad.  I mean no offense to anyone who has or does cheer (I did).  Gloria Steinam I am not, but I have a little 'thang' inside about girls going ga-ga over the athletic accomplishment of guys.
In all her glory, here's Gloria:
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."

- Gloria Steinem

My daughter campaigned her cause and wore me down.  She helped me see that my 43-year old view of the world doesn't match an 11-year old trying to find her way.  "It's just fun.", she says.  As long as it's moral, legal, and has some value to the development of her I should consider it.  In the end I let her do it.  She learned cheers and stunts and jumps and moves and today she tries out.  And I want her to make it.  I understand that cheerleaders are athletes and that the stereotype of pretty, popular, and petite and perhaps a bit sassy doesn't have to apply.  I just couldn't ignore my 'issue' with the proliferation of the notion that girls stand behind guys to let THEM shine.  The old SHE's the secretary, HE's the boss gender role play. 

My pal, Gloria also says:
"A movement is only composed of people moving. To feel its warmth and motion around us is the end as well as the means."
And so school spirit, enthusiasm and strategy on my daughter's part won out.  And I'm glad.  I told her to shine from the inside out today and the rest will take care of itself.  Sounds a big Yogic.  Yoga meets cheer leading.  Who knew?

She was exhausted from her tryouts, school responsibilities, dance class and just being 11.  Here's last night:

My diva daughters surrendering to sleep.  Bliss.
Tomorrow my husband and I run the Suntrust Richmond Half Marathon (his first).  Hanging back and letting him shine won't be hard - he's fast!  But I'd do it anyway not because I am weak or pretty or popular or petite (God knows!) It's just fun.  And it's just nice.  Go Kathleen!


1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Go K Go!! I hope she makes it too. I love how she is sleeping with her mouth open. And I love how Jane still sleeps with her arms up like a little babe.