Thursday, July 16, 2009

Freakin' Four Miles...


Yesterday Boston, Today Nothing

I was saying my good nights to my 11-year-old son on Monday and he said I should train for Boston. Are you freakin' kidding me? (I didn't say that to him.) I thought it was the sweetest thing. 'You can do it, Mom', he says. 'You can do anything.' I've come a long way by golly but BOSTON?!!! My friend over at http://www.shutupandrun/ has it in her attainable radar and I love her for it. But me, well that will never happen. Or could it...

So my wheels started turning and I went to bed thinking why not?! Feeling invigorated and motivated when that's hard to come by these days was really, REALLY nice. So I got up the next day bound for Boston. I started my simple, little 4 miles at about 10:30 a.m. in the squishy southern heat and hated every single step of the run. Every one of them. My attitude tanked, my positive self-talk turned profane and it's all I could do to finish freakin' four miles. How could I get to Boston if I can barely get back to my mailbox? BUT, I did finish. I beat my own attitude and that's a victory that stayed with me all day. Maybe that's the baby step to the next level. How do you set a high goal and strategically map the course? Do you plan in the wiggle room for bad attitude days? Strategy isn't my strong suit but believing in big ideas is. Somebody, kick me in the ass. Maybe, I should just shut up and run. I drive my own self crazy!!

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

WHAT were you doing posting this at 3:54 a.m? If you can post that early in the morning/late at night you can go to Boston!!! Glad your attitude turned around...and BTW, my URL is www.twentysixpointtwoormore.blogspot.com. Just in case anyone wants to go there. Title of blog is "Shut Up and Run!"
Love you.

amy said...

most definitely factor in the wiggle room and tell yourself tomorrow will be better. because it will. then go watch a race on tv, biking, triathalon, running, whichever, and you'll be pumped for the next run. but most of all, listen to your heart...it will tell you what's next.