Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sing it Celine!

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak (which is rare)
You were my eyes (legs) when I couldn't see (move)
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach (run another step)
You gave me faith cause you believed
I'm everything I am (I am running this race)
Because you loved (coached/supported) me
--Celine Dion (me, taking liberties)
Who's your Robert Redford? That person or those people who see things in you at critical moments when you can't for the life of you find it. Coaches, family, friends, followers (all 2 of you...) this one's for you.
Back in mid-90's before I ever met my husband when this movie and song was a hit - I decided that someday, whenever I got married I'd dedicate this song to my Mom at my wedding. She really, really did all those things for me. Never waivered in her belief in me. She always just knew something I didn't yet know. I got a chance to tell her my plan and she, as usual, deflected credit of any sort and said this song should be for my not-yet-known husband. I disagreed and told asked her to listen to the words. My beloved mother died too soon before I got married but she's still my Robert Redford and when it comes to running so are my coaches, my family, and my friends which includes my most awesome PT.
Fast forward. One motherless wedding (thank you, Dad for waiting 8 years to join Mom - giver her a hug from me. And you are a Robert Redford too by the way), three children 14 nieces/nephews many races and lots of gratitude later I am FIRED UP for this second marathon in 16 short days. Can you tell long races make me emotional?!
Last week. I ran 20 miles after not having run more than five and that was only once in 3 weeks. I called my Coach, Jill and told her I was scared to death of any kind of distance because of having been out with an injury for 3 weeks. She believed. Sing it Celine! She told me to run with my heart. I had it, was fit enough and to take it easy. She reminded me that on Sunday at mile 16. I finished all 20 miles upright and smiling.
I am especially grateful to my family for putting up with all the time away to fit the long runs in and for the egg sandwiches when I get home. I love my friends - a special nod to the non-running ones - for putting up with all my running talk. To Beth for calling me a stud for finishing my 20 when we all know she's the real stud.
I am running this race, because you loved me.
And I'm hell on wheels. I can't wait.

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I can't wait either. Game on you are going to rock it. I love you. I believe in you. You give me strength when I am weak too. And 11 followers??? WTF?

Unknown said...

Isn't it cool that you can still be called a stud? You're ready to go, have fun!