Thursday, November 26, 2009

OM! at home

Is morning meditation REALLY possible?


I was looking to start my day like this...


And ended up with this...

Note candle and butt pillow. At least Maggie is finding her chi. I think she's found it on my butt pillow.

I have always been a morning person. I love the quiet of the predawn darkness. I learned the treasure of this cherished time of day when I was quite young. Having grown up with 5 siblings, quiet was hard to come by. It is here I become centered and inspired and motivated to love this life. Nowadays it's not easy to Om! at home with two lovely Labradors roaming. But at least my family sleeps in.

I am fascinated by meditation and am reading a wonderful Eastern classic called, The Miracle of Mindfulness, by Thich Nhat Hanh. In the space between tasks, chores, and to do's lies secrets I want to know about. Sort of that spiritual sweet spot that only makes itself known when we make room for it. Maggie just needs to make room for my hind quarters on MY pillow.

In the calm of our breath which links life's moments one to the next is the real reason I live to love and love to run. Setting goals, surprising myself and opening the spaces between to let more love out and in. Maybe I did find my chi this morning or maybe Maggie found her bone.

I'm boning up on a meditation practice where I can really Om! at home. Any tips?...

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Great post. I wish I had some tips. I am going to my meditationr retreat on Sunday and can share with you then.

andygoose said...

I try to Om! before I even get out of bed. It gives me an idea of which feelings and thoughts I'll be bringing into the day. Sometimes it makes me fall back asleep too....

amy said...

set aside time for it maybe once a week, then increase it to two, three, etc. but first, send the kids to school, hubby to work, and the dogs outside. then just do it. gets easier and easier, just like the practice of running.