Monday, September 27, 2010

Pull me, stretch me, heal me

So I can do the same to you.  As of Friday, I am a Yoga teacher in the making.  I started a YTT program through Yogaworks at a studio in Carytown.  Yogaworks blends Iyengar, Ashtanga, and Vingyasa styles of Hatha Yoga.  There's a strong meditative component to the curriculum too.  I am excited, overwhelmed, happy, filled, teary, nervous, vulnerable, thrilled over this journey.   I have 19 new friends and I think I love them all.  Doctors, cancer survivors, nurses, moms, grandmoms, dads, belly dancers comprise the group.  The process promises to be transformative. 

Alas, as indispensable as I think I am - my family survived just fine without me all weekend.  My 7 year-old daughter attended a wedding in the Outer Banks of North Carolina thanks to the kindness of our dear friends, Larry and Megan.

Mary Anne Kennelly Tysinger with Bibby, Maggie, and (my) Jane
Kathleen spent the weekend with my sister and her family and when I picked her up she didn't want to leave.  Love it!  Nicholas went hunting with Mike and watched college football (go JMU).  So you see, all that bending over backwards for them is not critical to any one's survival.  Except mine.   I'm up to 16 a day.
















Finally, my hamstring is healed.  My Yoga teacher trainer, Jeanmarie Paolillo plugged my hip into it's socket with wild abandon and I have been pain-free ever since.  She is a saint and inspiring and beautiful and talented and funny and cool and so very good at what she does.  She is of service to her students.  I promise you, I will be too.  Let the healing begin!

What did you do this weekend?

4 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

You are dispensable but not replaceable. I love that you are doing this by yourself and for yourself and that you have asked for the help you need to get it done. Breaking old habits is huge. Can't wait to hear more.

Indi said...

How awesome for you :) I've always wanted to get pilates certification and promised myself when the finances are right I will do it!
I so cannot get into that pose..maybe someday with persistence!

Unknown said...

So happy for you! Can't wait to hear all about it!

ihaverun said...

So glad you are feeling better. Also excited to follow your certification journey!!