Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wanted: Surrogate Mother

Fluff, inspired words, clever sayings, wisdom, humor, informed valuable opinion and total charm.

And now for  today's post.

I need someone to step in and raise my children.  That's what I told them.

Set up:  Because of snowy weather our Christmas break started a bit early.  We've been in the house together for awhile.  There is an abundance of carb-loaded, sugar-stuffed finger food all about our house.  My children have been helping their darn selves anytime of day.  I am a bit of a freak about what they eat so I am so off-center and way controlling and hyper-aware of everything they put in their mouths.  I realize I need to let some of this go, it is the holidays for  6 pound 8 ounce baby Jesus' sake.  BUT, I HAVE MY LIMITS....

Keep in mind that last week my girls ate the hard as concrete Gingerbread House because "they were hungry".  I guess they forgot where we keep the frig full of nutritious food.  I mean I can never find the scissors, I get it. 

But THIS was nuts to me.

Today at 2:30 IN THE AFTERNOON as I am preparing to leave for my SURGERY on my eye (after I had been to a Bikram Yoga class and cut up fresh vegetables with dip for lunch) I ask "which one of you has brushed your teeth today?"  Each one of them (below) said, "not  me" with a giggle as if they were proud and waiting for the crazed response from their mother.

Note:  All their mouths are closed probably to hide their unbrushed teeth.
Here's my response:

Screeching, and vein in neck fully engorged:  I AM MOVING OUT SO SOMEONE ELSE CAN RAISE YOU.  WHAT I AM DOING IS OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING.

Middle child, (teary):  do you know how bad that hurts us, Mom.
Me (void of maturity and reason):  well, prove me wrong.

Loving, patient, kind, compassionate, guiding, intelligent, gentle, wise, fun.

And now for the real me...

Grateful, trying, sculpting, learning, stretching, loving, asking, dancing, waiting, doing, planning, working, laughing, toasting every day.

Maybe I'll be their surrogate mother.  Doing my best and keeping it real.

Have you brushed your teeth today?
  

No comments: